Before You Begin
- You must be an Administrator on the website.
- The user must have a UW-Madison NetID.
- To create accounts for non-UW-Madison people, please email us at email@example.com .
- Ask the user:
- For their NetID and UW-Madison email address.
- If they have an account on any other CALS WordPress site.
- We recommend that new users be given the Editor role.
- If the user finds that they cannot perform a task you assigned them, then raise their user role to Administrator.
- The Administrator role is very powerful, and you can accidentally wreck the site design and menu with it.
- It should not be given to students who are not supervised by an experienced web professional.
Important Note: The Russell Labs service agreement prohibits students (undergrad and grad) from holding Administrator roles.
Steps to Add a User to Your Site by NetID
Check for Prior Accounts
1. Login into your website.
2. From the WordPress Admin Dashboard menu at the left, choose Users. The users screen appears. This screen lists all Users on the website, and their Role.
3. Scan the list of users to make sure that the user does not already have an account on the site. Some users may have an old account that no longer works. If you find an existing account for the user, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Add the User by NetID
1. From the WordPress Admin Dashboard menu at the left, click Users to expand the Users menu. From the Users menu, choose Add by Net ID. The Add User by NetID screen appears.
2. Click in the Net ID box, enter the user’s NetID.
3. Click and choose a User Role from the User Role drop-down.
4. Click Add User. You should see the message “User with the NetID “username” has been added to your site!” (where “username” is the user’s NetID)