Before You Begin
- You must be an Administrator on the website.
- The user must have a UW-Madison NetID.
- Ask the user:
- For their NetID and UW-Madison email address.
Determine the User Roles:
- Determine if you will add the user with the Editor role, or the Administrator role.
- We recommend that new users be given the Editor role if the just need to create/edit/delete page or post content. If the user finds that they cannot perform the tasks they need, then you can raise their user role to Administrator.
- The Administrator role is very powerful, and one can accidentally wreck the site design and menu.
- This role should not be given to students who are not supervised by an experienced staff member.
- Review the following page for additional details about WordPress User Roles.
Important Note: The Russell Labs service agreement prohibits students (undergrad and grad) from holding Administrator roles.
Steps to Add a User to Your Site by NetID
Check if Access Already Exists
1. Login into your website.
2. From the WordPress Admin Dashboard menu at the left, choose Users. The users screen appears. This screen lists all users on the website, and the role.
3. Quickly scan the list of users to make sure that the user does not already have an account on the site.
- Note: If a user already exists and you just need to change their current role. Follow these instructions for updating a user’s role in WordPress.
Add the User by NetID
1. From the WordPress Admin Dashboard menu at the left, click Users to expand the Users menu. From the Users menu, choose Add by Net ID.
2. The Add User by NetID screen will appear. Enter the user’s NetID in the NetID form field.
3. Select a User Role from the User role drop-down list. (See more about User Roles above).
4. Finally, click Add User, and you’re done.
You should see the message “User with the NetID “username” has been added to your site!” (where “username” is the user’s NetID)
Should you need to add non-UW-Madison people who do not have a NetID, we can help you get the a UW NetID. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re having any difficulties adding a user, please email us at email@example.com