Before You Begin
- You must be an Administrator on the website.
- The user must have a UW-Madison NetID.
- To create accounts for non-UW-Madison people, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Ask the user:
- For their NetID and UW-Madison email address.
- If they have an account on any other CALS WordPress site.
- We recommend that new users be given the Editor role.
- If the user finds that they cannot perform a task you assigned them, then raise their user role to Administrator.
- The Administrator role is very powerful, and you can accidentally wreck the site design and menu with it.
- It should not be given to students who are not supervised by an experienced web professional.
Important Note: The Russell Labs service agreement prohibits students (undergrad and grad) from holding Administrator roles. Breaking the service agreement means the site will no longer receive technical support.
Steps to Add a User to Your Site
1. Login into your website.
2. From the WordPress Admin Dashboard menu at the left, choose Users. The users screen appears. This screen lists all Users on the website, and their Role.
3. Scan the list of users to make sure that the user does not already have an account on the site. Some users may have an old account that no longer works. If you find an existing account for the user, contact us at email@example.com
For Users with No Prior CALS WordPress Accounts
- Scroll down to the Add New User section.
- Enter the NetID.
- Enter the UW-Madison email address.
- Click to choose a Role – Editor or Administrator.
- Click Add New User.
- IMPORTANT – watch the screen carefully for any error messages. If there is an account for the user on another CALS WordPress site, WordPress will tell you that the account already exists and not create an account. If that happens, you will need to go to the Add Existing User section and add them there.
For Users with a Prior CALS WordPress Account
- In the Add Existing User section, slowly start typing the NetID. WordPress will try to find the NetID based on what you type. Choose the correct NetID.
- Click to choose a role.
- Click Add New User.
4. The user should be able to login to the webhosting site ( https://webhosting.cals.wisc.edu/ ) and access your website by choosing it from the My Sites drop-down menu in the upper left corner.